Friday, December 2, 2011

Week 11 Learning Journal Post

We learned a lot about theories of behavior change. The theoretical grounding is something I can bring to all of my work moving forward. Social media is just a tool, but is hardly the only place where I get to use it. Having a framework is such a help. It can be a check-in and a check list. Am I using all of the tools available to me or to my client? Can I make something more persuasive, more relevant, more interactive, more powerful?

While we havent had the chance to hear actual team reflections yet, one common theme from chatting with friends from other teams is that they got a lot of views, but when it came to actual reporting back on the , something they asked of their audiences so they could track results, they were surprised by the low turnout. Certainly finals week played a role, but to my mind, we all learned that triggering behavior change is harder than it looks. And asking people to do AND to report is a big ask. Most of us chose to communicate within a BGI audience - presumably a group that is highly motivated by liking, reciprocity, and commitment. And it was still hard to get an action to occur.

I could quibble that some of the desired report back mechanisms could have been made more clear or easier to do. But the deeper message is that the task is tough and will likely take a combination of multiple iterations, the right medium (did we talk enough about how to choose a medium?), great use of persuasive tools, and perhaps a stroke of good timing.

We are beginners. I feel lucky to have this opportunity to play around in a safe space while we build our skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment